|John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County|
|Cook County Bureau of Health Services|
|Location||Illinois Medical District, Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Care system||Public hospital|
|Hospital type||Teaching Hospital|
|Affiliated university||Rush Medical College|
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Illinois|
The John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, formerly Cook County Hospital is a public urban teaching hospital in Chicago that provides primary, specialty and tertiary healthcare services to the five million residents of Cook County, Illinois. The hospital has a staff of 300 attending physicians along with more than 400 medical residents and fellows. The hospital campus, located at 1901 W. Harrison Street Chicago, Illinois, is a part of the 305-acre (123 ha) Illinois Medical District, which is one of the largest concentrations of medical facilities in the world.
The hospital’s 1,200,000 square feet (110,000 m2) represent the equivalent of 25 football fields. The layout of the facility organizes services in a “main street-style” to accommodate the needs of patients, physicians and staff. The hospital offers dedicated units for obstetrics and pediatrics, intensive care, and burns.
It boasts one of the emergency rooms in the country and a Level 1 Trauma Center. The Adult ER treats over 110,000 patients annually, while the Pediatrics ER treats 45,000 children and adolescents each year.
The Ambulatory Screening Clinic treats approximately 105,000 patients per year. In 2003, The new Stroger Hospital Eye Clinic opened as the (then) most up-to-date eye center in the city of Chicago. All patient rooms in the 464-bed hospital are private or semi-private, with their own bathrooms, televisions, and telephones.
The hospital also serves as the hub for the Cook County Bureau of Health Services for delivery of specialty and sub-specialty care. More than 40% of the hospital’s space is dedicated to an outpatient Specialty Care Center, operated by the Bureau’s Ambulatory & Community Health Network. The Specialty Care Center sees 220,000 or more patient visits every year. The Stroger Hospital residency training and education program has a primary academic affiliation with nearby Rush Medical College for both undergraduate and graduate medical education. It is also has minor affiliations with Chicago Medical School, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
The Stroger/New Cook County Hospital was completed in December 2002 and is housed in a facility located adjacent to the old Cook County Hospital building. In September 2014, Cook County Bureau of Economic Development began soliciting ideas and design concepts for a mixed-use redevelopment of the historic Hospital Building.
In 1983, Ron Sable, MD, and Renslow Sherer, MD, founded Chicago’s first HIV/AIDS clinic. Ten years later, the HIV/AIDS clinic was renamed the Sable/Sherer Clinic. This clinic treats one-third of Cook County’s HIV/AIDS patients. Today, services are delivered in a new facility, the Ruth Rothstein CORE Center.
Cook County Hospital Administration Building
Facade of Cook County Hospital
|Location||1835 W. Harrison St., Chicago, Illinois|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Beaux Arts|
|NRHP Reference #||06001017|
|Added to NRHP||November 8, 2006|
The hospital traces its origins to the Board of Commissioners' establishment of a "Poor House" in 1834 to provide free medical care to indigents. By 1847, the Poor House was unable to meet the demands of the population. At Kinzie and State Streets, the County rented Tippecanoe Hall, which became the original Cook County Hospital.
The old Cook County Hospital building was used in the 1993 movie The Fugitive. County General Hospital, a fictional hospital that served as the setting for the NBC medical drama ER, was loosely based on the old Cook County Hospital.
- Lulay, Stephanie. "County Seeks Ideas for Old Cook County Hospital Redevelopment". DNA Chicago. DNAinfo.com. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.